Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ooh! Ooh!

Hey, guess what! You went to the most happenin' event in the city today, right? Psh, not the no pants subway ride (seriously, maybe the Public Health badge is making me a little germaphobic, but I have seen a surprising amount of poo on subway seats, and I don't even like to touch the subway handrails. With my hands).

Duh. Today was Mulchfest.

I do not have a Christmas tree. In fact, I pretty much could not less have a Christmas tree. My apartment has a single plant, and it's an aloe that Charlie the cat ate half of at some point this fall. But I do know that, well, Christmas trees exist. It's impossible to walk a block without seeing them, forsaken and browning by the curb. And yet, while I was both being kind of bummed out by trees and by Public Health's requirement that I spend a little more time than I'd like considering the city's disposal of garbage, Mulchfest arrives.

With 81 locations (by the way, is that not an enormous number?), Mulchfest makes post-Christmas either a little less depressing or a hell of a lot gorier. For no cost (except the time it takes you to lug a tree a dozen blocks or so), a crack team of volunteers from MillionTrees will send your tree on a one-way trip through the woodchipper. (There's a kind of adorable flash video of a pigeon demonstrating on the Parks and Rec website. In real life, it's noisier and smellier, and with 100% fewer pigeons in jaunty hats.) The nearest location was a 15 or so block walk from my house, and while no one had a total for today's turnout (yet!), Prospect Park was pretty busy. Check out great photos from FlatbushGardener for the whole volunteers-with-shovels experience.

Best part? Free mulch, if that's the kind of thing you need. (This would have been amazing when I was a kid and neighbors were always in the process of remulching their landscaping, though I suppose that was more of a get-a-truckload-of-mulch and less the bag-your-own option available today). Saddest part? The frequent reminders to remove all ornaments and tinsel from trees. (People totally fail to do this every now and again, and it's a little bit heartbreaking, in a MacArthur Park, cake-in-the-rain kind of way.)

Anyway. Mulchfest is a good example of things that are right about NYC's trash disposal, though there's a good bit that's wrong with it as well (which I'll address later on). It's waste disposal week here at Boy Scout Handbook. How can things get any better?

No comments:

Post a Comment