Sunday, November 22, 2009

Houseflies

Public health requirement #2: Draw a diagram showing how the house-fly carries disease.

I knew the Natural History Museum had an exhibit on frogs, so I was hopeful that there may be a certain housefly component as well. (After all, it would be like having an exhibit on me without a section on the Snickers bar I just ate, or an exhibit on Charlie the cat without featuring kibble.) However, despite making for a swell excuse to visit the museum, I found the AMNH almost entirely fly-free.

(Should I have checked this before just arriving at the museum, which was already a pain in the neck because, hey, Brooklyn to upper west side = difficult, and Brooklyn to upper west side when the trains are delayed for some sort of smoke-in-the-station = nearly impossible? Sure. But let's move past these things, shall we?)

John and I spent some time exploring the Hall of Biodiversity, where I'd never been before, and which features some remarkable beetles, as well as a many-times-magnified bee arm (bee leg? I have no idea). There is also a large, bronze nematode head, the kind of thing that will haunt my nightmares forevermore.

Regardless.

Here goes: a Comic Lite version of the housefly-as-disease-vector. Enjoy it, kids.

1 comment:

  1. This is the best cartoon since Calvin and Hobbes went belly up.

    ReplyDelete