Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Eww, I have gross legs

You may not know this. If we haven't met, you have no way of knowing this. And if we have met, you're unlikely to have noticed. But I have superdisgusting legs. Fortunately, these superdisgusting legs are also our visual aid for tonight. Yay.

Since my mid-teens, I've had icky varicose veins on my calves. They are not subtle, not by any means -- they're so pronounced that a young gentleman at the gym during my college years may in fact have once asked me if I would tell him more about the horrible accident that had so dramatically mangled me. He may specifically have inquired if it involved an animal bite. (I don't dwell on past wrongs, not me.)

Regardless, I have gross, veiny legs. I will never be Tina Turner. However, the Handbook offers tips for a modern girl on the go. Sort of. See, for the First Aid badge (that's me, always bringing it back!), I need to explain how to treat severely ruptured varicose veins.

Wait.

Ruptured? With severe hemorrhage?

(That pause was just me going to the doctor in a panic.)

(Actually, it wasn't. After my grandmother's examining my leg and asking "What is that," I did once go to the doctor. He told me to wear support hose, which I coudln't bear to purchase, and therefore I totally ignored his advice. Oops.)

Now, my icky legs just look icky -- they don't hurt. (Also, it's surprisingly hard to photograph your own leg. So you know.) But apparently, varicose veins can become a big problem when they rupture. Leading up to it, though, they tend to bulge and turn reddish or purplish, which seems like the sort of thing that would already be a problem. So, you know.

By all reports (and I'm not willing to crack open my own legs to test it), the main strategy for a bleeding varicose vein is the standard elevation-and-pressure -- keeping the bleeding extremity above the heart and applying firm pressure above the wound (hence, I suppose, my deeply-refused compression hose).

Mission? Accomplished!

3 comments:

  1. you are the only blog i comment on, and its because i love you so (and you have provocative posts!)
    i once had to deal with one of these in a super old lady who had a ruptured varicose vein in her inner thigh. she eventually had to have the hematoma (big messy bruise) evacuated (made an incision and scooped it out). as we were finishing, the anesthesia resident said "is it bad that this kind of reminds me of how a c-section looks?"
    i hope this isnt TMI, but feel free to delete if its too gross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! This is an awesome blog! I haven't seen it before but your facebook profile posts about your TV appearance caught my eye! This is a really awesome concept and hey - if you ever need any info on the present state of the BSA organization, I was a professional district scout executive for a little while. I also can train BSA lifeguard. It's not the 1911 standards though. :) You ought to go to Philmont or maybe Brownsea Island when you are done with all these badges in celebration. --Sandi Leonard

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man, efs -- I never, ever, ever want anyone to think that any part of my body is how a c-section looks. I have had this phrase in my head for DAYS.

    also, sandi, I have a philmont belt buckle that I wear like every day. I love it.

    ReplyDelete