Tuesday, September 1, 2009

More running but (sadly) less bugle

I just got home from work. (For those of you on the east coast, yes, it's 9:30 PM.) Now, out of respect for my neighbors, sadly, that means no bugle. Not even taps. This is probably for the best, of course, though I may have to reconsider when I actually can do things like play taps, at which point we can consider switching things up a bit. But, for the time being, no bugle.

However, I did take the third run in four days today, for a grand total of more running than I've done in the past two years put together. I have high hopes for this section of the athletics badge, and I should be at the passing-the-run stage soon. I've been measuring the distance of my run very vaguely (oh! this seems like it's been a couple miles!) and timing it even more vaguely (oh! I put songs each of which are roughly 3 minutes long on my ipod and I've been out for 7 songs!), but I think I've got a good shot. For Thursday (I think), I'm going to actually time myself and actually run a pre-charted course. I'll keep you updated. (For the record: the Army physical fitness test standards are not actually all that stringent. It sounds tough, right? Not really.)

Other upcoming events: tomorrow (if I'm lucky), I'll get to downtown Brooklyn to complete the Pathfinding badge. Friday or Saturday I'll post my how-to-train essay (a 500-word requirement for Athletics), and Sunday and Monday there is a top-secret plan in the works. One hint: swimming fully dressed. Be prepared, folks.

Finally, a question: the Athletics badge requires that I explain the rules for one track and one field event. What field event should I investigate? (Heck, what is a field event?)

No comments:

Post a Comment